{SITE-NAME} Logo
The Police
Message Type Icon

News- Crime Prevention-Events


2nd April 2025

 

 

 

Dear Residents,

 

Welcome to this months newsletter, hope you are all keeping well, and enjoying the warmer weather along with the lighter evenings.

 

Recent news and appeals

Crawley man jailed for decade of rapes, abuse and controlling behaviour

A Crawley man who subjected a woman to ten years of rape, assaults and controlling behaviour has been jailed.

Between 2014 and 2024, Wojciech Burylo, 50, of Calvin Walk in Bewbush, used sexual and physical violence, and threats of murder, to control large parts of her life.

The victim – a woman in her 40s – received more than 40 calls a day from Burylo asking where she was and threatening her with extreme violence, such as decapitation.

She reported the offending to Sussex Police in January, 2024, when he was arrested and released on bail with strict conditions and a Domestic Violence Protection Notice designed to stop him causing any further harm to the victim.

Read more here Crawley man jailed for decade of rapes, abuse and controlling behaviour | Sussex Police

 

Cyclist, 18, seriously injured in Crawley collision

Police are appealing for witnesses after a teenage cyclist was seriously injured in a collision in Crawley.

The incident involving a dark coloured Volkswagen Golf occurred in College Road about 5.20pm on Monday 10 March.

The cyclist, an 18-year-old man from Crawley, was taken to hospital with serious injuries. The Volkswagen driver was uninjured.

A section of the road was temporary closed as emergency services responded to the scene.

Anyone who saw what happened or captured any relevant dash cam footage is asked to email collision.appeal@sussex.police.uk quoting Operation Bentworth.

 

Significant sentences and outcomes for prolific shoplifters

 

A Sussex-wide operation to tackle prolific shoplifters has led to a significant increase in successful outcomes, including lengthy prison sentences.

“With shoplifting increased in Sussex, like it has nationally, we are making it a priority to work with businesses and other partners to prevent, detect and identify shoplifters.” said Sussex Police business crime lead Chris Neilson.  

“A dedicated business crime team helps focus our response to organised retail crime through to local prolific offenders.

“Our operation sees us use every avenue available to tackle prolific shoplifters, change their behaviour and protect retailers.”

The outcomes, alongside charges, include prison sentences, civil orders and community resolutions aimed at managing offenders and bringing about behavioural change, including prohibiting them from entering premises to protect retailers and referrals to drug rehabilitation services.

Last year West Sussex saw successful outcomes increase by 78%, compared to the previous year. Brighton and Hove saw successful outcomes rise by 41% and East Sussex by 156%.

Chris said: “Prolific offenders cause the most harm to businesses, and we understand the financial and personal impact of shoplifting on business owners, employees and the wider community. In Sussex data some 38% of our known offenders have committed three crimes or more.

“By using CCTV and facial recognition to identify suspects, and capturing all their offending, we enable the court to robustly deal with them. This has led to severe sentences backed by behaviour measures, including a condition to engage in drug rehabilitation, to deter additional offending."

Recent sentences include: 

Damien O’Hare, 48, of no fixed address, who was jailed for three years and three months for 26 counts of shoplifting, 22 counts of breaching a Criminal Behaviour Order and one count of using insulting/threatening language. He would target some stores in Crawley multiple time read more here 

 

 

Sussex Police raises awareness of National Child Exploitation Day

 

National Child Exploitation Awareness Day, organised by the National Working Group (NWG) Network and aims to highlight the issues surrounding Child Exploitation (CE).

It encourages everyone to think, spot and speak out against abuse and adopt a zero-tolerance to adults developing inappropriate relationships with children or children exploiting and abusing their peers.

The Vulnerability Knowledge and Practice Programme (VKPP) have recently published a report that sets out publicly a clear, detailed picture of reported Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation (CSAE) crimes across England and Wales.

A total of 115,489 CSAE offences were recorded by police in 2023, reflecting the consistent growth in CSAE and the long-term trend of increased reporting to police. Evidence continues to suggest many crimes remains unreported, with an estimated 500,000 children experiencing CSAE every year. read more here 

 

Police investigating multiple break-ins and attempted break-ins in Crawley Down

Police are investigating a number of break-ins and attempted break-ins at properties in Crawley Down in the early hours of Saturday morning (22 March).

Similar reports were received from residents of seven properties who had their homes or outbuildings targeted between midnight and 5am.

It is believed at least two suspects were involved in the incidents, understood to be males wearing knee-length jackets.

Enquiries are ongoing to identify the suspects and gather any available evidence.

Police are asking anyone with any information or relevant CCTV footage to report online or call 101, quoting serial 326 of 22/03.

House to house enquiries will be conducted by police this evening, and there will be an increased police presence as a visible deterrent and reassurance.

There are a range of methods residents can take to protect their homes from burglars, including:

  • Ensuring properties and outbuildings are securely locked at night and when not in use
  • Visible CCTV systems as a deterrent and to gather evidence
  • Burglar alarms
  • Lighting, particularly motion-detecting external lights
  • Lower fences or hedges at the front of properties to limit hiding spaces
  • For more advice, visit - Protecting your home from crime | Crime prevention | Sussex Police

     

    Good news re the above appeal see information below

     

    Man convicted for burglaries in Crawley Down

    A man appeared in court and was convicted over a spate of burglaries in Crawley Down.

    Officers across the force have been working hard to investigate and arrest known offenders for burglary.

    This includes after reports of a series of break-ins in Crawley Down around Bowers Place in the early hours of March 22.

    Sussex Police can confirm that Tony Cooper, 32, of no fixed address, was arrested and charged with fraud by false representation, four counts of attempted burglary and three counts of theft from a vehicle.

    He was remanded in custody to appear before Crawley Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday 26 March, where he pleaded guilty to all offences.

    He was further remanded in custody and is due to be sentenced at Portsmouth Crown Court on 23 April.

    A 39-year-old man from Bognor Regis and a 23-year-old man from Croydon were also arrested in connection with the incidents, and have been released on conditional bail until 2 April and 21 June respectively, as the investigation continues.

    Meanwhile, police are working hard to tackle burglaries across the county, with other suspects arrested, charged and remanded with offences. 

    Detective Inspector Ed Bohnet said: "Officers have been working hard to tackle burglary and to catch offenders, and we are pleased that Cooper was convicted in court.

    "In addition, we are aware of a spate of burglaries in the North Bersted area of Bognor. We can confirm that two suspects were charged and are currently remanded as part of our ongoing investigations into these.

    "So we are making progress at charging suspects who are now awaiting further dates in court.

    "We understand the traumatic impact burglary has on victims, both financially and emotionally.

    "We carry out a significant amount of engagement work with residents, victims and the business community to prevent crime and bring perpetrators to justice.

    "Our burglary success rate improved, with a rise in successful outcomes, and a fall in the overall number of burglaries reported to the police.

    "We are aware of local social media groups posting reports of crime, but we are unable monitor these or view these in closed groups.

    "The evidence from the CCTV and doorbell footage is vital for our investigations and we request group admins to encourage their members to report every crime that is posted.

    "We encourage victims to continue to report crime and any suspicious behaviour, and we will investigate all reports thoroughly. Always call 999 in an emergency."

    Further crime prevention advice to residents is available on the Sussex Police website.

     

    Event 

    Officers from the local Neighbourhood Policing team will be holding a Crime Prevention and Information event on:
    Saturday 5th April 2025
    Between 15:00-16:00
    At Crawley Library - Southgate Avenue, Town Centre, Crawley RH10 6HG

     

    Motorcycle riders -

     

     

    Motorcycle riders are invited to book their place in workshops for advanced riding techniques in Sussex.

    The Sussex BikeSafe scheme offers the sessions in the county to help improve safety on our roads.

    The scheme is a national police-led initiative which seeks to engage with motorcyclists in a conflict free environment in an attempt to reduce those killed or seriously injured on the roads.

    The aim is to give riders an insight into what can be achieved by exploring advanced riding techniques, whether it’s a shiny cruiser or a tricked up sports machine.

    The Sussex BikeSafe scheme is for all, and sessions run from 8am to 12.30pm or from 1pm to 5.30pm from April 6.

    To find out more about the scheme or to book, visit the BikeSafe website here  

     

    Reminder 

    Night Marshals

    Night Safety Marshals are out this weekend in #CrawleyTownCentre, they are highly trained, qualified in first aid & can get those who need it to a safe space.

    To report crime, either call 101, or report online https://orlo.uk/V5jLI
     

    Crime Prevention Advice 

    To help protect yourself this spring /summer whether you are home or planning a trip away, please read our crime prevention advice online: .https://orlo.uk/Bp5mx

    Register your belongings on the Immobilise national property register here➡️ -https://orlo.uk/GuaIV for improving your chances in getting your lost/stolen items back

     

    Have a good week,

     

    Trisha

     


    Reply to this message

    Message Sent By
    Trisha Dejesus
    (Sussex Police, District Engagement Officer (DEO), Crawley and Mid Sussex)

    Neighbourhood Alert Cyber Essentials