|
||
|
|
||
|
||
|
Met cuts phone theft by 10,000 offences following year-long crackdown |
||
|
The Metropolitan Police Service has cut mobile phone theft offences in London by 10,000 in the past year following its largest ever crackdown on phone thieves. Over the last four weeks alone, officers made 248 arrests related to phone theft and seized about 770 stolen phones as part of intensified activity across London to identify and arrest suspects. A further 122 people were arrested for other offences as part of the wider operation. Local officers worked alongside specialist proactive teams, deploying cutting-edge technology, such as drones, Sur‑Ron e‑bikes and live facial recognition, to catch offenders and significantly disrupt the stolen mobile phone market. The focused activity builds on a year-long sustained crackdown on mobile phone theft – representing the most extensive series of operations of its kind ever undertaken by the Met. As a result, mobile phone theft offences in London have fallen from 81,365 in 2024 to 71,391 last year – a drop of about 12.3 per cent. Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley said: “We are relentlessly cracking down on phone thieves and dismantling organised criminal networks at every level – from the pickpockets and phone snatchers operating on our streets, to the handlers who profit from their crimes, right through to the international networks exporting stolen phones overseas. “Over the past year, we’ve made hundreds of arrests and recovered tens of thousands of stolen devices. That work has meant 10,000 fewer people facing the stress, cost and disruption that comes with having their phone stolen. It is this work that is making London an even safer city. “But policing alone cannot solve this problem. Manufacturers and tech companies must do more to stop criminals being able to reset, reuse or resell stolen phones. “We also need the courts to play their part by preventing repeat offenders being bailed only to go out and offend again, undermining the hard work officers are doing to keep communities safe.” The Met carried out four weeks of focused activity to tackle mobile phone theft across London between Monday, 19 January and Friday, 16 February. This is on top of targeted precise activity over the past year. In the West End, officers used pre-emptive tactics to identify suspects as they entered known hotspot locations to prevent offences. This involved close co-ordination between police ‘interceptors’, marked Sur-Ron e-bikes, the drone team and neighbourhood officers to target offenders. Examples of the types of operations, arrests and pre-emptive tactics include: Commander Andrew Featherstone, the Met’s lead for tackling phone theft, said: “We understand phone theft is a major concern for Londoners and that’s why our officers are relentlessly focused on tackling it head-on. “Over the last four weeks, neighbourhood officers and specialist units have deployed cutting-edge technology – including drones, Sur-Ron e-bikes and live facial recognition – to identify and arrest suspects quickly. “These tactics are delivering results. In hotspot areas such as the West End, theft is already down by 30 per cent since April last year. “Londoners deserve to feel safe, and we will keep fighting back against the thieves and criminal gangs fuelling this crime." The Mayor of London, Sir Sadiq Khan, said: “Too many Londoners have been the victim of phone theft. Our new intensive action is putting us on the front foot when tackling phone thieves and dismantling the gangs behind the scourge of thefts here in London. “Thanks to record funding from City Hall, the Met is investing in new state of the art technology to turbo-charge their efforts to bear down and be tough on mobile phone crime. New drones are supporting officers to capture evidence and improve intelligence gathering and new e-bikes are helping officers outpace and outmanoeuvre criminals who use bicycles or electric motorbikes and scooters to commit phone thefts or evade police. “But we know there is still more to do. Which is why as Mayor I’ll continue to prioritise neighbourhood policing and will continue to push the mobile phone industry to go much further in preventing stolen phones being used, sold and repurposed, building a safer London for everyone.” Background on technology and specialist teams used during the four-week operation: | ||
Reply to this message | ||
|
|




